Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Goals

So How Is This Thing Going To Work?

   For the next five and a half years I'm going to work my mind and body to their limits. I do not want to set short term goals for fear of limiting the potential for having fun figuring out how to accomplish what I'm after. I will however, set my long term goals

.Long Term Mind Goals:

1) I will learn two languages
2) I will study and be tested on college level text books in Physics, Chemistry and Calculus
3) I will read at least one book on philosophy every two months

    For my mind I will be studying or reading at least an hour a day. I will have to nail down some sort of testing system for the textbooks. I will also post a list of the philosophy books I read. Competency in the languages will have to be assessed too. I'll work on those and post when I have it figured out.

Long Term Body Goals:

1) I will train for, qualify for, and complete an Ironman triathlon.

   For the physical half I will be doing a six day a week work out. Three days of hardcore weight training, three days of intense cardio and one day of rest. I will do my best to describe the details of my workout and diet throughout the project as well as post weekly progress pictures.

Synergy:

    Here's where the fun is. What good would growing your mind and body be if you didn't use them? So I want to use my mind and body in every way I can along the way. I am a busy guy, but I want to try do something different every weekend. From simple things like learning to juggle or solving a 4x4 rubik's cube to complex stuff like remodeling my house and completely rebuilding a car. I also want to take this growth and pour it into my career as well. There are certifications and licenses I can obtain that will take me further in the market place. As I grow, so should my abilities and experiences. The synergy is really the whole point to this project.

Can I really do all this?

   I have chosen these goals knowing that with the right motivation, time management and a little support from family and friends I can achieve all of them. Part of me says that to really push my mind and body, I would have to also set unattainable goals. I believe that would hurt the inspirational idea that everything I accomplish here can be done by anyone. I have set goals that I know are possible and that I just need to organize and execute a plan in order to achieve.

What happens at the end?

    As I go I want to compile a list of accomplishments and failures for one last post. I will reflect on what went right, what went wrong and what I could have done better. I hope everyone stays with me till the end, my 40th birthday. I'll have to throw a party and get everyone's opinion on what to do with the next five years after that.

FYI! Keep in mind that this all being done in addition to a 45hr/wk job, teaching my daughter math for her home schooling and the normal duties of a 'Horse Husband' on a a horse farm. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Your going to accomplish all your goals!!!! I look forwards to your posts and you've inspired me to lose weight...if you can do a freaking triathalon then i can drop a few pounds!

    ReplyDelete